Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tips I Use To Have Healthy Relaxed Hair




Relaxers (straighteners) work by changing the chemical bonds in curly hair.This causes Relaxed hair to be weak and dry. Here are tips I use to keep healthy relaxed hair....
Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!!

Try to avoid the use of direct heat.Heat appliances such as blow-dryers or curling irons can over dry the hair.
When using heat always use a heat protector

Cotton pillow cases and sheets help in breakage, use a silk or satin scarf to wrap up your hair while sleeping. Use a satin pillow case.

Do not over process or overlap your existing straighten hair.

Always wait at least six weeks till next relaxer ( I now try to relaxer no less than every 8 weeks)

Wash primarily your scalp rather than your hair unless your hair is very oily or dirty. Prevents stripping the hair of needed moisture..

You may have to alternate between a non protein conditioner and a protein conditioner every few months or often. When hair is dry and brittle it may have too much protein. If hair is limp and stretchy, it lack protein

Use a clarifying shampoo at once a month to rid your hair of environmental pollutants and product build-up.

Deep condition regularly using a protein or moisturizing deep conditioner or use a combo conditioner with both at least once a week
Daily Moisturizing and weekly deep conditioning ( I moisturize daily and deep condition at least twice a week)

Use leave-in-conditioner. Leave-ins nourish the hair and help protect the hair from the sun and environment. It also helps protect against heat damage

Let your hair air dry whenever possible
Air Drying allows you to keep moisture in hair longer ( I air dry with a leave-in and little Coconut oil ...I air dry in four or five braided plaits)


Protect your ends with a light moisturizer. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair. It needs extra moisture. This reduces breakage and split ends.

Use wide tooth comb

Never wring your hair. When hair is wet it is particularly fragile. Twisting hair and/or stretching it when it is wet is bad for the hair fibers and will encourage splitting.

Rubber bands and Metal hair clips cause breakage

Prepoo before washing (Pre shampoo Treatment/natural oils can be used or conditioners . I mix oils in my conditioner for prepooing)
Relaxed hair require additional conditioning treatments. Prepooing also blocks any harsh cleaning agents from penetrating and drying the hair.

Natural Oils.... instead of hair grease

My favorite is Coconut Oil....It is also wonderful to use as a hair conditioner. Beauticians who are familiar with coconut swear by it. It softens the hair and conditions the scalp. Using the coconut oil as a pre-wash conditioner can rid a person of dandruff better than a medicated shampoo.
In India women have used coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment for many many years. Oil treatments are really common there. Coconut oil is the best hair oil.
Virgin Coconut Oil is one of the few oils that is scientifically proven to be able to penetrate deep inside the hair shaft and carry nourishment along with it.
Use only Virgin Coconut Oil or Unrefined Coconut Oil because it is:

* Made with coconuts from traditional palms - not hybrid varieties
* Unrefined *( need unrefined to get all the benefits)
* Unbleached *
* Non-deodorized *
* Non-hydrogenated
* Free of chemicals

16 comments:

  1. Nice article about hair care. I really found your articles informative and beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ur blog.I learn a lot thnxx =) I have relaxed my hair but I didnt how to take care of it.I didnt know my relaxed hair could grow!!! The only pb I have is that Im french and Im not totally bilingual.Sometym I dnt understand what u r sayin.Fortunately there r translators!!! ThnxX again.
    ps:I love so much ur blog that I recommended it on Twitter =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog! i've been following u for a while, im subbed on youtube btw. just got my own blog and thought i'd comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. are hair lotions, good products to use in relaxed hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoJO,
    I wouldn't use hair lotions. I lot of them contain "fake oils" or mineral or petroleum oils which have been know to cause more damage to relaxed hair. it's best to use straight natural oils like coconut oil or Argan oil. Coconut oil you can probably get anywhere like walgreens, walmart, etc. the only place i have been able to get Argan oil where i live is Sally's and it's like $9.99 for a small 3.4 oz bottle but you only need like a tiny amount per use. also, just focus on oiling your ends and the middle of your hair. the oil will work it's way to your scalp through combing. hope this helps. i just saw your comment and decided to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I lost lots of hair after the removal of my extensions. I am using so mny diferents products and oils. I AM FRANTIC! Can you please explain which products should I use for daily moisterizing? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tracey,

    First I want to say your hair is Amazing!!!

    Would you happend to have any tips on how to get thicker, fuller hair? My hair has the length but I would like for it to be thicker. Also, I noticed my hair sheds a lot, especially when i have new growth. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best conditioner I have ever used is Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner, the argan oil hydrates and strengthens my hair making it nice and healthy. Plus the extra shine is appreciated! Thanks for the informative article :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi..last day i had done relaxing on my hair..i dint know that it was a kind of hair straitening..

    In ur blog ..u hv mentioned about using oils on relaxed hair..but my hair stylist said not to use any kind of oil or henna on my hair..kindly clarify this..:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. my family is forever telling me that leaving my hair out to dry is a bad thing & i should roller set it & dry it..is it good to leave it out & just air dry? please help :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree with your views..Really it is a grest post..Thanks for sharing..
    Salon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Straight and to the point. Loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have thick coarse hair that looks great when it is relaxed. I have been experimenting with other products and forgot how much I love the Shielo Restoration Oil.

    I use the Shielo Oil on my hair for conditioning every few days (depending on hair dullness). My hair looks amazingly shiny and more manageable. It also helps me prevent split ends. Recently I was in a wedding and we used it as a finisher for my upsweep. The hair stylist was amazed, she commented she had never seen hair with so much sheen.

    ReplyDelete