Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Yes .....Oils Can Pentrate Hair Shaft


So there was the big , huge debate on LHCF about Oils being able to penetrate shaft/ condition or nourish the hair....Some women really believed the only things oils do is seal in moisture....It really showed how are sistas are still so uneducated about our hair care

It has been scientifically proven that some oils can penetrate example:


Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft.


Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.


The main purpose of oiling the hair is to help it retain moisture,

Studies have proven that ...

Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Olive oil penetrate the hair shaft to make it stronger (J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001)The study showed straight chain glyceride's like coconut oil , avocado oil, olive oil easily penetrate into the hair.

Polyunsaturated oils , like Jojoba oil, are more open in their structure so they don’t pass through the layers of cuticles very well.

Meadow foam seed oil partially penetrates, and jojoba and sunflower oils don’t penetrate at all.Most other oils, including safflower oil and sunflower oil, do not penetrate hair very well.


So yes !!! There are oils scientifically proven to penetrate the hair shaft.....You must read Ladies...You must educate yourself...Before picking oils for your regimen 'Google it'...find as much info on it as you can and make sure that is what you and your hair needs....


Most Info provided through study (J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001)

19 comments:

  1. Go ahead and drop that knowledge on them, Traycee!

    p.s. I now realize that I Stan for your blog. I'm here every day =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. u better be glad u married big legs are yum let me stop

    ReplyDelete
  3. couldn't have said it better! coconut oil does penetrate the hair and make it stronger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! Tell them Traycee! Jojoba is wonderful since it's similar to the hair's natural sebum. And Coconut oil, well, you know I'm a fiend for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do anyone know if any of these penetrateable(sp) oil ?? and if any oils are considered protein because it comes from nuts,seeds,bean?
    I saw somewhere online that oil from seed of corn is protein?

    corn oil used alot in CD tui hair oil and other hair products
    grapeseed oil
    hazelnut,walnut oil
    emu oil
    red palm oil
    canola oil
    castor oil i know its heavy coating
    bran rice oil
    tree tea
    camellia oil(white/green tea oil)
    vit e
    vitaki
    mustard
    almond
    shea butter oil
    cotton seed oil
    jaborandi oil
    carrot oil
    soybean oil
    peanut oil seems very light
    pumpkin seed oil
    wild growth oil
    african best Wonder 8?
    kemyl?
    ghee(unsalted butter)
    cocoa
    Is there some kind of bounty test i can do to see how fast absorb?

    I know I know I should just keep it simple....just stick with just coconut oil and alternate between Olive oil or Avocado Oil
    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ May...LOL
    @ Torrance...*BLUSH*

    @ Belle and Sunshyne..You guys know whats up

    @ Anonymous.. I would have to do some research....But promise to do a blog post regarding my research

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am curious about grapeseed oil as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you wrote this. I also read about this on thebeautybrains.com. I started a thread about this last year on LHCF but I didn't get a response from anyone who agreed that coconut, olive, & avocado oils can penetrate the hair shaft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...very informative..:)
    I can certainly appreciate your wealth of knowledge and the extensive research that has taken place.
    Very impressed and thanking you for sharing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this patent that said mineral oil mixed with coconut oil 60%:30% increases the penetration of the cocnut oil in hair dramatically which is interesting since mineral oil is supposedly bad http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1289479.html
    what do you think woul you try it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anybody know anything about argan oil being penetrable or morrocan oil. I have hard good things about both

    ReplyDelete
  12. Argan oil has similar properties as coconut and olive oils. Therefore, it also can penetrate the hair shaft. It's very expensive, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey everyone! has anyone ever used Vatika hair oil? I am thinking about it just look at the ingredients is pretty convincing. It has not only coconut oil but also rosemary,lemon oil,neem oil and several other oils.

    Oh I also heard cinnamon and peppermint helps stimulate the scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read on some website or another that Argan Oil penetrates the hair shaft, does anyone know if that's true?

    ReplyDelete
  15. anyone more research on penetrateable or protein hair oils thanks for posting followup updates and

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only two oils I use is Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I do not like to mix my oils either! I however do not want to put too much protein in my hair (because I've read that Coconut Oil provides hair with protein) so I alternate between them! Great sealers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vatika oil is wonderful. My hair is stronger, softer and gets best results when I use it regularly. Love that stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I understand the oils that can penetrate the hair shaft to provide nutrients, my question is do these oils also provide moisture; and if not, can they be blended with an emulsion and water so that the water can provide moisture and the oil itself still perform the job of providing nutrients AND sealing in the moisture. (I hope I'm making sense--I'm almost confused myself...).

    ReplyDelete
  19. jojoba oil. olive oil, sunflower and ylang ylang oil penetrate the hair shafts.

    ReplyDelete